Weekly Disability Benefits
Weekly disability benefits provide income protection in the event you become disabled due to a non-occupational sickness or injury. This benefit does not apply to retired participants.
- $250 per week for up to 26 weeks, less mandatory Social Security withholding.
- Benefits are offset by any Social Security or pension disability benefits you are eligible to receive.
- Note: This benefit is subject to income tax. A tax statement will be provided at year end.
You are eligible for benefits if you are disabled and unable to work due to:
- any injury not arising out of or in the course of your employment, or
- any disease not entitling you to benefits under any Workers’ Compensation, occupational disease law, or similar legislation.
When Benefits Begin
- the first day of disability due to an accident; or
- the eighth day of disability due to sickness.
For more information about weekly disability benefits, contact the Claims Administration office.
Filing Disability Claims
If you become disabled due to a non-occupational sickness or injury, you should submit a claim to the Fund’s Administrative Office as soon as possible. In order to begin receiving your weekly benefits, the following must happen:
- Your claim must be accompanied by any information or proof requested and reasonably required to process such a claim.
- You and your treating physician should complete a Weekly Disability Benefits Claim Form and submit it along with your claim.
More about filing a claim.
The Fund’s Administrative Office will make a decision on the claim and notify you of the decision within 45 days. If the Fund requires an extension of time due to matters beyond its control, you will be notified of the reason for the delay and when the decision will be made. This notification will occur before the expiration of the 45-day period. A decision will be made within 30 days of the time the Fund’s Administrative Office notifies you of the delay.
If the Fund’s Administrative Office needs additional information from you to make its decision, you will be notified as to what information must be submitted. You will have at least 45 days to submit the additional information. Once the Fund’s Administrative Office receives the information from you, you will be notified of the decision on the claim within 30 days.
The Fund’s Administrative Office will provide you with a Notice of the Adverse Benefit Determination in writing that contains the following:
- The specific reasons for the adverse benefit determination;
- The specific reference to the Plan and/or Summary Plan Description provisions on which the adverse benefit determination was based;
- A description of any additional materials or information necessary for you to perfect your claim and an explanation of why such material or information is necessary;
- The notice of any internal guidelines or protocols used in making the decision, if applicable, and your right to receive a copy;
- A notice of your right to a written explanation of any exclusion which affects your claim; and
- A description of this Plan’s Appeals Procedure.